“To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” — William Londen
About 2 years ago, I decided to work on my fitness & health – can you believe I barely worked out for the last 10 years?! My goal was to get stronger, be more alert & maintain a healthier lifestyle. I looked online and found that Fit in 30 was a great local studio in the Broadway/Cambie area that offered bespoke private/ semi-private training sessions. I enjoyed our quick 30-45 minute sessions (I go in early to warm up on the bike) and working out with Hannah was a great opportunity to learn new exercise moves as well as have a good laugh (she is so animated!).
Hannah & I wanted to share some of our favorite workouts that can be done in 30 minutes!! It’s great to try this with a friend (or even with Hannah 😉 ). Check out our exercises below!
Weighted single leg deadlift
– Simply hold a dumbbell (I think the one I was holding was about 15lbs) and slowly lower yourself forward with one leg – careful! this requires a bit of concentration so your ankle is stable.
Deep split lunge
– Think your lunges aren’t doing you justice? Try it elevated in the air with TWO dumbbells! #FeelTheBurn
Handstand & jumping lunge combo
– Another great lunge workout! Do a handstand and when you come back down, jump straight into a lunge position! #HeadRush
MY FIRST PULL-UP EVER!!! (with assistance lol)
– If you’ve never done a pull-up before – best use a box or stool to help leverage you up, have your BFF support you by helping you with the boost or pushing you up (a touch) by placing his or her hand in the middle of your back – and push upwards, not outwards
– Can’t do the pull-up? It’s ok! I worked hard to get there by practicing modified pull-ups on the slide board!
Make sure to keep your shoulders pulled back!!!
Are we done yet!?
Balance board triceps push-up
– Hold yourself against the board and hold your core, slowly pull your elbows in and do a push-up. Sometimes this is easiest done slowly because the board moves!!!
Cable crunch with pull down
– A great ab/arm workout! Have your back on the board, feet up in 90 degrees, & as you pull the cords down, do a sit up!
Pike from plank
– My FAVOURITE workout!!! Add the head support on the board and start in a plank position, pull your ankles towards you until you make a pike, then slowly lower yourself. Repeat 15 times 😉
– This one makes me feel like a monkey!! (I love it). Simply hold yourself up with two balance bars & pull your knees up as high as you can! If this one is too easy for you – keep your legs straight and make “L” shapes!
– Super important that you always remember to stretch! The wear and tear of a workout can be hard on your limbs and joints and you don’t want to feel as much strain the next day!
That’s all, friends! I challenge you all to try some of these moves with your BFFS!